Mobile Science for Primary
Science workshops are generally recommended for second to sixth class students. Teachers can choose two 1 hour topics that would most benefit their pupils. The price per pupil for a 2 hour senior science workshop is €6 and €4 for the Junior Science Roadshow. All materials are supplied. There is a minimum payment of €180 per school.
Downloads (.pdf format)
Don’t leave younger classes out: invite our Junior Science Roadshow along! An action packed one hour activity science session guarantees to hold the attention of all students from Junior Infants up with LOTS OF SIMPLE, FUN EXPERIMENTS to set future scientists on their path!
SPACE: Astronaut University
Let Lismore's Mobile Scientists take your class of Astronauts on a journey through Space. Explore the Sunny Solar System, Sparkling Stars, Plenty of Planets and the all important Rocket Power. The importance of Space Exploration to us Earthlings, day and night and forces will all be introduced in this 1 hour workshop. With hands-on experiments, lots of interaction and a blast off finale, this workshop is sure to be Out of This World!
Guts of Digestion
From the moment it touches the lips to the gory finale, pupils will love following real food on a journey through the digestive system. Children will learn how their body absorbs nutrients. They will also learn how we grow, run and jump and the role our digestive systems have in keeping us active! Hands on from start to finish, pupils will be delighted and disgusted all at once!
Participation is paramount as pupils learn about Acids, Bases and the pH scales in an interactive workshop. Materials and how they change, heat and cooling and chemical uses in everyday life are all explored. They use stinky red cabbage juice and litmus paper as an indicator to determine the pH of everyday things. See your little chemists surprise as we add some bubble and fizz to the
end of the workshop!
Have some hair-raising fun with Electricity before building circuits, adding switches, testing insulators and conductors and learning about all the Energy and Forces that contribute to it. Magnetism is also explored and we bring along some Plasma Balls to discuss static electricity. We will introduce fuses and electrical safety and the uses of the humble wire in everyday life. Students
will be shockingly entertained!
Crime Scene Investigation- Classroom CSI
Suspect everyone is his one hour forensic science workshop. Team work and note taking are key to the students cracking the case. Your class will deduce, decide and discover the secrets and tricks of real life C.S.I. agents. The workshop explores an application of science in everyday life and students will have to work as a team to piece the clues together. Using real life scientific techniques and materials like paper chromatography and D.N.A. extraction students get hands-on and become a detective for a day!
Antartic Adventures New for 2016/2017: Take your class of explorers on an Antartic Adventure. We follow the footsteps of great Irish explorer Tom Crean in this one house interactive combined Science and Geography workshops. We use weather instruments, explore how life exists in extreme circumstances, see how the first exp;orers survived and see why Antarctica is actually a desert! Practical applications of the topics pf weather, heat, animal adaption and historic exploration are all covered. Your class is sure to have a Brrrilliant time!
Activity Curriculum Links
- Astronaut University: Design and making, energy and forces, living things, working scientifically, maps, globes and graphical skills, a sense of place and space, human environments and natural environments.
- Shocking Science: Working scientifically, designing and making, energy and forces, materials and safety procedure .
- Chemistry Kids: Working scientifically (especially sorting, classifying, recognising patterns and interpreting) materials and safety procedures.
- C.S.I. Classroom: Working scientifically (observing and predicting), group discussion and decision, literacy, real life application of science and realisation of careers in different fields.
- Guts of Digestion: Living things and working scientifically.
- Antartic Adventure: Maps, globes and graphical skills, human environments, natural enironments, Energy and Forces, heat and temperature, weather, stories from people of the past, age of exploration.
Tel: Roseanne on 05854975